Friday, June 12, 2009

An Interesting Visitor ...

Well, what a day~!!

First thing this morning my husband noticed something on the neighbours back lawn. It just looked like a 'heap' of something. Getting a closer look, this is what it was!



A huge snapping turtle. It must of crawled up from the marsh in the conservation area. That's a long way to go for a turtle! Anyways of course I had to run and get my camera and take a million pictures ... lol.





It was sticking it's head out at me, but not really going anywhere. So I tried to feed it some apples but it wasn't impressed.



Do you know I read on the net after the fact that turtles like their apples shredded. EXCUSE ME???

Anyways, because it wasn't going anywhere I thought it might be sick so I got my husband to call the local Turtle Rescue/Distress Center. (I'm not kidding you - we really have one here ... lol!) They told him that it is most likely a female just looking for a place to lay her eggs. Apparently they've been known to lay them in the weirdest places, even on highways! Well, it stayed a couple of hours and then turned around and walked back into the field toward the marsh.



Then, after that was over I noticed that the mom and dad tree swallows were trying to coax the babies out of the birdhouse. They've been sticking their heads out the last couple of days and looking around. I was going to post individual pictures but instead decided to do a few layouts. (Click on the pics to see larger)





We lost count of how many actually came out but we think they are all gone now. Though the mom and dad have been back to the birdhouse peaking inside. Tree Swallows sometimes nest twice a summer so I'm hoping they come back for round 2!

The journaling paper I put in the first layout is part of one of the journalings sets I put into LLL Creations Dollar Mart today.





Each set comes with 10 different journaling papers and they are only $1.00!
You can get them here or just go through LLL Creations Dollar Mart under the Elements category.

Plus my Fathers Day Promotion is still on until the 15th.



And for anyone out there who loves to garden like me ... this is today's freebie;

Download Copper Gardening Charm

SORRY LINK HAS EXPIRED



And because I know most of you scroll down past everything I've said to get to this point, I hope you will at least take a second to read this paragraph. A simple thanks would be nice from all you 'hit and runners'. This charm for example was not made in the 30 seconds it would actually take you to comment and to be honest it didn't start out as a freebie. But I'm feeling generous. Password is: thanks. You can comment in my CBox on the right side of this blog or below this post.
:-)

P.S. - If you like this freebie you can see others like it here and here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

THE CHARM IS AWESOME. I LOVE TO PLAY AROUND IN MY GARDEN. THE CHARM IS GOING TO LOOK GREAT ON MY LAYOUT OF MY FLOWERS. THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING IT WITH ALL OF US.

Louisiana Lady

btmo-pat said...

You live in a great spot, Lil. That is one massive turtle. I enjoy reading your swallow stories and seeing your terrific photos. You take some fantastic shots. What kind of camera do you use by the way? You do wonders with it. I just love watching the swallows over here too. There is a big park by us that put up houses for them & observers like us LOL. They like to build their nests up under the park building roofs here too and under the bridges. I love to hear them sing and see them flying in and out. They are so fast. Don't you just love their color. Metallic like, beautiful blue.
I never seen these types of bird till I went out East and seen these birds flying in and out of the sand walls by the sea. Now that I live near the lake they are a more familiar sight.
By the way you create some really neat stuff. I don't have a garden, not even a plant, well I did get one for Mother's Day but gave it to my neighbor, LOL. But that is a wonderful charm.
Any hey, I have probably worn your eyes out. I am usually very quiet but get me relating and well...LOL
It's summer too and I am not in much, really, its just to gorgeous outside, so I don't get around to visit every one as much as I do in the off seasons. Did you guys finish the gazebo yet. I wanna see it when you have it all set up. My DH says it beautiful. I showed him the stages you have shown us.
Oh there I go again. I send you some love when I visit again.
Big Hugs
Pat

btmo-pat said...

Oh my goodness, I forgot a very important comment...
Congrats & blessings to your daughter and her beau on their engagement. They look like such a terrific couple. Blessings to them both.
Big Hugs
Pat

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your generous creations and I love reading all about your garden visitors - you live in such a beautiful place. Hugs, Rags

lwlittlebit said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I love your turtle and bird pics. You must have one fantastic camera; your shots are so close and clear! I'm one
that always reads your blog and enjoys it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Scrapbook Freebies Search List, under the Garden Theme post on Jun. 13, 2009. Thanks again.

grammy201 said...

Love the charm; thanks so much for sharing!
Great shots of the turtle and the swallows!

Arlene said...

Hey Lil - you really do live in the wild kingdom don't you? What a huge turtle. We had an interesting experience while taking the dogs for a walk this morning. We were walking across a field near the Welland Canal and just as we approached a group of bushes and trees a deer leapt out RIGHT in front of us (like a few feet away), then bounded (boing boing boing) away toward the canal. I was afraid it would jump off the little cliff and into the water (and there was a big laker ship in the canal), but the deer turned and went across another field and up the Niagara Escarpment. Whew! Thank goodness the dogs were on their flexi-leads or they would have been long gone ... with the deer, lol! Of course, unlike you, I didn't capture it on film. ;-)

Big hugs to you and Peter.

sammawow said...

What a pretty gardening charm! Thank so much for sharing.